Some prefer open carry while some believe that concealed carry is a better option as it doesn’t cause panic or alarm among citizens. The debate regarding concealed vs. carry has highlighted various pros and cons which are discussed below:
PROS OF CONCEALED CARRY
Following are some of the advantages of concealed carry:
- It assists in self-defense or even to defend others, in case of an attack.
- When a gun is concealed, those with malicious intent won’t be aware that their prey has a means to defend themselves.
- It gives the gun owner a better chance at surviving an attack as the concealed gun provides an element of surprise for the attacker. In those few seconds of hesitation, the gun owner can save themselves and the others.
CONS OF CONCEALED CARRY
Following are some of the disadvantages of concealed carry:
- During an emergency, the concealment might hinder the deployment of firearm
- It might become the cause of an accident as the carrier might be irresponsible in deploying, carrying, or handling the firearm, which can lead to physical harm.
PROS OF OPEN CARRY
Following are some of the advantages of open carry:
- Criminals usually conceal their guns. This indicates that whenever people witness an individual openly carrying a gun, they will realize that that person isn’t a threat but are license holders.
- Open carry reduces any hindrance in deploying the gun during emergency situations as compared to when concealed carrying.
- This helps as a crime deterrent.
- Easier to carry as compared to concealed carry.
CONS OF OPEN CARRY
Following are some of the disadvantages of open carry:
- People might panic when they witness someone open carry and might alert the authorities. Due to this, the carrier might be stopped by the police official for questioning and even asked to show the license or permit, if applicable in the jurisdiction.
- It might become the cause of an accident as the carrier might be irresponsible in deploying, carrying, or handling the firemen which can lead to physical harm.
- The carrier might be targeted by the criminal.