Now that you have a strong foundation for gathering healthy berries, let’s look at a few foraging tips that make finding nutritious berries a cinch.
• Don’t assume a wild berry consumed by a
bird is fit for human consumption
• Carry a wild berry guide to confirm the
identification of a plant
• Avoid foraging areas sprayed with pesticides
• Never forage near heavy industrial areas and
• Summer and fall represent the best seasons to
find ripe berries
• Ensure the legality of foraging
• Sign up for a state park sponsored foraging
• Local colleges and universities may organize
foraging trips to help you learn how to
identify berries and other edible plants
Above all, never eat a berry unless you are 100 percent sure it’s safe.